11/12/12

Jesus = Action

I dig a good action flick.

I like how funny it can be to name an actor, and know exactly what the new movie starring him/her will be about.  Example:  Nicolas Cage.

I am not sure if there are people who genuinely enjoy his movies, but when your buddy says, "Bro, lets check out the new Nick Cage movie this Friday!"  You know a few core things about that movie right off the bat...
1) Explosions
2) Over-theatrical one-liners like, "I will destroy your hope of surviving my retribution, punk!"  Or, "You want to die today, tough guy?" in that classic Nick Cage growl
3) Receding hairline.

Whatever your thoughts on Nick or action movies, you gotta admit, sometimes (usually) names are attached with meaning.  Right?  So it is with our God.

I was reading earlier a few things... and it dawned on me, Jesus just does stuff.  He rarely engaged in petty discussions or spent more than a breath or two rebuking a sinner.  Rather, God just acts.

Think of Jacob when he wrestled with God.  He asked God, "Tell me your name!"  And God just says, "Why do you wanna know that?" and immediately just blesses him and changes his name to Israel!

Names pack a punch.  For example, Jacob meant sly or sneaky since he was always lying and cheating.  But now God re-named him Israel, meaning "wrestled with God."  Dude, if you can wrestle Hulk Hogan I am impressed... but GOD?  Talk about guts.

I also think about times in the Gospels where folks would beg Jesus for stuff because they new He did miracles.  Or when the pastors and preachers and politicians of the day would try to engage Jesus in debate.  Jesus had a way with words.  That was is being short, sweet, and to the point.

In stead of wasting an entire sermon on making the whore at the well feel guilty, He called her out and forgave her, encouraged her, and just told her basically she knows right and wrong, do right now, cause you're forgiven.

Or when the preachers were mad at Jesus for healing a dude on the Sabbath (day of rest where no work was allowed).  Jesus just was all like,
"Dude, if your camel is hurt, I know you help it on the Sabbath.  I healed this guy cause I am allowed to cause its good and cause I am God.  P.S.  I just forgave all his sins too."  (paraphrase)

So when I think of Jesus, it makes me think of action.  Not theological studies, not Sunday school class, not religious routine.  It makes me think... wow.  He did all that living perfect and dying for me so I could go free and enjoy Paradise instead of Hell?  And all He asks me to do is now share this joy, hope, love, healing, and forgiveness with others?  Sweet, no problem.

Jesus = Action

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions about God?

GotQuestions?org